In the world of glues and adhesives, hot melt is a term that is increasingly present. Hot melt glue is a powerful and versatile adhesive that is used in numerous industries and applications. In this blog we will look more closely at hot melt glue, at what it is, how it works and why it is so popular.
What is hot melt glue?
Hot melt glue is a thermoplastic adhesive that is applied in liquid form and then hardens when it cools down. It is made of polymers that melt when heated and solidify on cooling, creating a strong and long-lasting bond. Hot melt glue is available in various forms, including sticks, pellets and flakes, depending on the intended use and application.
How does hot melt glue work?
Hot melt glue works simply but effectively. The process generally comprises three main steps:
1. Melt: The hot melt glue is heated until it becomes liquid. This usually occurs with the aid of special hot-melt equipment, such as hot-melt guns or systems. The temperature at which the glue melts varies depending on the type of hot melt glue being used.
2. Apply: When the hot melt glue has melted, it is evenly applied to the surface to be glued. This can occur manually with a hot-melt gun or automatically with specialised equipment, depending on the use.
3. Solidify: On application, the hot melt glue starts to cool down and quickly solidifies. This creates a strong bond between the materials glued together.
Why is hot melt glue popular?
Hot melt glue has numerous advantages that contribute to its popularity in various industries and applications:
1. Quick bond: Hot melt glue bonds quickly and efficiently. This increases the productivity of production processes.
2. Versatile: Hot melt glue is suitable for a wide range of materials, from paper and cardboard to wood, plastic, textiles and even metals. This makes it a versatile choice.
3. Environmentally friendly: Many hot melt glues are water based, which means that they are environmentally friendly and emit no or barely any harmful fumes.
4. Strong bond: Hot melt glue offers a strong and long-lasting bond, even in difficult conditions. It is resistant to vibrations, shocks and fluctuations in temperature.
5. Low operational costs: The use of hot melt glue can lead to lower operational costs thanks to its efficiency, speed and reliability.
6. Clean application: Hot melt glue leaves little to no mess, which ensures the workplace is clean and tidy.
Uses of hot melt glue
Hot melt glue is used in numerous industries and applications, including:
1. Packaging: Hot melt glue is used a lot in the packaging industry to close boxes, apply labels, and so on.
2. Automotive industry: In the automotive industry, hot melt glue is used to attach interior elements, such as upholstery and panels.
3. Woodworking: Hot melt glue is used to assemble furniture, cupboards and wooden components.
4. Textiles: In the textiles industry, hot melt glue is used to laminate fabrics and make clothing.
5. Book binding: Hot melt glue is used to bind books and magazines.
6. Electronics: Hot melt glue is used to glue electronic components and seal devices.
Hot melt glue is a versatile, efficient adhesive that serves a wide range of industries and uses. It offers a quick, strong bond and environmentally-friendly options which make it an attractive choice for both production companies and DIY enthusiasts. Whether it concerns packaging products, assembling furniture or attaching elements in a car’s interior, hot melt glue plays a crucial role in simplifying various bonding processes. If you are looking for an efficient and versatile adhesive, you should definitely consider hot melt glue for your next project.